Rui Guerra, is the company director of Photoguerra - Underwater Productions, Lda, based in Portugal.
He’s available to work in any kind of underwater documentaries or other underwater filming related projects anywhere in the world.
As a Portugal-based underwater image specialist, his main underwater filming and photo locations are Azores Islands, Madeira Islands and all the Portuguese main coast and freshwater environments.
He’s completely at ease and experienced with underwater filming, photography and timelapse of underwater wildlife, scientific projects, movies or commercials.
No matter the subject, from whales, sharks, crocodiles or very small underwater macro life, Rui’s experience will make the diference. From the open off-shore high seas to the most remote underwater cave, his diving skills and photographic eye are used in conjunction with the knowledge of the underwater kingdom, always paying attention to safety.
Rui Guerra began his career as an underwater photographer in 1990. Throughout more than thirteen years of competitions he has been distinguished several times at international and national level, where it stands out:
- Runner-up World Champion in overall classification
- World Champion in a category
- Several gold, silver and bronze medals at several World Championships in Underwater Photography
- Six times National Champion
- Several times winner in several categories in national championships
Awarded in several other international competitions and contest, namely:
- Underwater Photographer of the Year
- Ocean Art Competition
- Oasis Photo Contest
- Open Island El Hierro International
- Masters International Costa Mogán
- MIMA - Medes Image International Festival
He has frequently performed the duties of Competition Director, jury member and technical consultant in several competitions.
Currently he is the National Coach of Portugal in the area of ??the subaquatic image.
He’s a certified underwater photography instructor for the World Confederation of Underwater Activities (CMAS) and the Portuguese Federation of Underwater Activities (FPAS).
Author of the technical book "Practical Handbook of Underwater Photography" (only in Portuguese).
Given his solid knowledge of photography, the move to moving image was natural, starting with timelapse and then filming in Full HD.
Currently he is mainly engaged in UHD filming with his RED Weapon 6K camera and waterproof housing certified for 80 m depth.
Rui Guerra is a certified dive instructor and technical diver for almost all types of underwater environments:
- Diving Instructor Certification CMAS - M1
- Certification of Freediving CMAS P1 and CMAS - P2
- Certification of scuba diving by the British Sub-Aqua Club (BS-AC), "Sport Diver" level (CMAS-P2) and Dive Leader (CMAS-P3)
- Certification as Scubapro and Poseidon Scuba Equipment Maintenance Technician
- Nitrox Diving Certification with Nitrox Diver, Technical Diving International (TDI)
- Diving Certification with Rebreathers Semi-enclosed, Drager Dolphin and DragerRay systems, by Technical Diving International (TDI)
- DAN Certification Oxigen Provider, through DAN Europe Training
- Apnea Instructor - Kids, by the International Association for the Development of Apnea (AIDA) - Portugal
- Certified in closed loop rebreather MK VI Discovery with air by TDI
- Certification of Solo Diver by TDI
- Sports Coach Card - Underwater Activities - Grade II, by the Portuguese Sports Institute
- Certification of Cavern Diver and Intro to Cave by TDI
- Certification of Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures with CCR MKVI Discovery, by TDI
- Certification of the PADI Ice Diving specialty
- Certification of Trimix diving with CCR MKVI Discovery, by TDI
He's also a very experienced sea kayaker and RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) skipper, with more then 30 years experience in rough seas, with a taste for adventure, survival and remote locations.
Spoken languages: Portuguese, Spanish, English and French.